Grantham canal runs through the middle of Cotgrave Country Park, adding to the habitats the park provides, and is home to many types of wildfowl. The towpath along the canal is just one of many well-surfaced paths in the park that can be enjoyed in all weathers. Two locks, Cotgrave lock and Hollygate Lane lock, can be found in the park, both with bridges allowing pedestrians and cyclists to cross the canal. Both locks were restored in 2002.
Walkers and cyclists can follow the canal west towards Nottingham, passing through Gamston and Lady Bay, and ultimately arriving at the River Trent near the Nottingham Forest football ground. Heading east, the path along the canal goes past Cropwell Bishop, then journeys through Kinoulton and Hickling (although the canal is dry for some sections). Further along, the canal passes Harby, Plungar and Redmile, before ultimately arriving in Grantham after a journey of 33 miles from Nottingham.
Originally opened in 1797, the canal eventually closed in 1936 and was instead used as a water supply for agriculture. Today, the Grantham Canal Society is working to restore the canal and preserve its history.